Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Character Spotlight 3: It Takes Courage

Welcome back to Smash Talk! I'm Brandon "the Bman" Alicea with another Character Spotlight.

This Smasher is quite proficient in weapons both far and wide, but is best kept at a blade in the heat of battle. They never flinch from a challenge, no matter how the odds are stacked against them.

Their actions speak louder then words, especially because this Smasher isn't very talkative. They could always rely on a special animal friend for transportation if needed, and can utilize one of the most powerful forces known in their universe.

Who's That Smasher?

It's Link!
 Hide your vases, because the Hero of Time is smashing through Hyrule on a quest to save his home from eternal darkness!


My First Reaction
Now, I myself never paid that much attention to the Legend of Zelda series of games. I've only played Phantom Hourglass for the DS and some demos of Ocarina of Time for the N64 and Skyward Sword for the Wii.


What in Molgera is wrong with you?!
That being said, I still feel that I have a good enough understanding on the series and Link to do this post. I apologize if I offend any hardcore Zelda fans. I was more into Mario and Pokémon at the time.


But I have heard of his adventures long ago. Although it didn't peak my interest, he was never a big fan of mine. There was just something about him that didn't appeal to me...
Mostly because he kept kicking my butt whenever I
played, back when I first got the game.
Think of it like how Snake dislikes Sonic for some reason.

Through His Series
From the very beginning (which I think is Skyward Sword in that whole Zelda timeline), Link was a chosen hero who was destined to save the land from darkness with the power of the Triforce. He sets out throughout Hyrule and other dangerous lands to rescue Princess Zelda from the evil Ganondorf.


Forever intwined in destiny
Blessed with the Triforce of Courage, Link is granted the courage to travel the land smiting evil with his signature Master Sword. As the games went on, several versions of Link rose as the form on incarnations, such as Toon Link.

But since this post is about the regular Link, his games would retain to Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess.


In Super Smash Brothers 
While Link is very apt at long range attacks with his Hero Bow and Gale Boomerang, he is on the slow side. And if his grab is missed with his Claw Shot, he's left open for a counter attack. But even at close range, he show dexterity and damage with his Master Sword.

Even if he can't fire out sword beams
His Smash Attacks are powerful at high damage percentages. Even if his Spin Attack isn't that good for recovery, it's still quite powerful. His Hylian Shield also shields him from projectile attacks if he's standing idly by.

As a Character 
Similar to Mario, Link isn't that much of a developed character when compared to Zelda or Ganondorf. However, it's obvious that Link is very courageous.

......
Anyway, it is also implied that Link is somewhat sleepy or lazy at times, due to the elf dozing off at the beginning of most games. He has this almost automatic proficiency with weapons, especially swords. He can wield magical items and instruments with an air of control and skill, despite having just acquired them.

Link shares an intense hatred for Ganondorf and a possible romantic attraction to Zelda. He is willing to risk his life time and time again to see her safely back in her castle. He also cares deeply for his horse, Epona, as well as his fairy companion Navi.

I can't imagine why...
As a Smasher, Link is close to fellow swordsman like Marth, Ike, and Meta Knight. He views his younger self as a little brother, watching out for him and messing with him from time to time. He's close to Mario due to their similar adventures, and even views him as a rival on occasion.

He's also close with Yoshi after their time together during the Subspace Emissary. And of course, he's disliked by villains such as Bowser.

Smash Bros 4 Changes? 
As much as I can tell, I don't think any major changes should be added to Link's moveset for improvement. Just maybe that he moves faster, and has an easier time blocking with his shield.


Because we all could use some extra
protection now and again.
Maybe his Claw Shot could also extend farther as well. If you feel that Link needs improvement, please Comment below and tell me what you think.

Final Thoughts 

From many, there is one
Even thought he may not be one of my most favorite characters, Link is an important part of Nintendo's history and a very popular character (even being one of the Big 4). I've began to dislike him less and less as I've played Smash, so maybe I'll use him as a main someday.

Anyway, what do YOU think? Do you believe that I've covered at least the basics of the Hero of Time? Comment below your opinions and thoughts.

Until next time! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment